Got it... Let's see:
1. Sometime around 2007, an obscure committee decides to create four emissions pathways for CMIP5 (the IPCC's climate model intercomparison project number five). The most extreme forcing is 8.5 watts per m2, known as RCP8.5
2. A team is asked to assemble an IAM (Integrated Assessment Model) to deliver emissions forecasts, which yield the specified 8.5 watts/m2 the committee wanted). To achieve the target 8.5 they create a dystopian vision of the future. I read it includes assumptions like Nigeria with a population over 1 billion burning coal like there's no tomorrow - even though temperatures increase over 3 degrees C and everything is falling apart. They also burn oil and natural gas at rates we can't produce simply because the reserves aren't there. Even then they can't achieve the target, so they introduce huge amounts of methane into the atmosphere. This dystopia is simply irrational. But they have to achieve the 8.5, so screw it, anything goes.
3. Sometime in 2013 we start seeing references to this dystopia as "Business as usual". BAU. The first mention I see is by an IPCC official at a press conference (this is what perked my ears and made me start digging into the whole mess).
4. Thousands of papers, tens of thousands of articles, and hundreds of thousands of comments begin to use this BAU case as a the basis for projected impacts. This dystopia is the foundation for the climate hysteria movement. The hysteria Obama says 97 % of scientists think is justified.
5. The economic analyses used to justify the cockamamie actions advocated by the IPCC (also advocated by Obama, the EU and the Pope) use RCP 8.5 dystopia as the "alternate reality" to the "de carbonized" world they create in their models.
I conclude this is one of the biggest scientific AND political frauds ever committed. It needs to be documented properly, and the world must be informed of this monstrous deceit.
The aftermath as of right now:
.....as the COP21 dust settles, we see the imbeciles leading the EU saying the same IPCC, which has shown itself to be shoddy, unprofessional, and fraudulent, is supposed to tell us how to limit temperature rise to 1.5 degrees C above "preindustrial". So they scam the world and now they get to tell us what we are supposed to do....